Trump wants an unlimited troop increase in
Washington PostTrump wants an unlimited troop increase in Afghanistan. He's going to need Congress's help.Washington PostOn Monday, President Trump made it sound like America is revving up its war with Afghanistan, by an untold number of troops delivering “overwhelming force” over an untold amount of time. “Our troops will fight to win,” he said in his first major speech ...Killing Terrorists Is Not a StrategySlate MagazineTrump's Request for India's Help in Afghanistan Rattles PakistanNew York TimesFirst Read's Morning Clips: Trump's Afghanistan PlanNBCNews.comCNN -Los Angeles Times -The Hill (blog) -Daily Beastall 2,238 news articles »
Posted on 22 August 2017 | 8:26 am
US Imposes Sanctions on China and Russia
New York TimesUS Imposes Sanctions on China and Russia Over North Korea's Nuclear ProgramNew York TimesSoldiers marched during a military parade celebrating the 105th birthday of North Korea's founder, Kim Il-sung, in Pyongyang in April. Credit Wong Maye-E/Associated Press. WASHINGTON — The Trump administration announced new sanctions against ...US sanctions Chinese and Russian companies and individuals for conducting business with North KoreaWashington PostUS, North Korea clash at UN arms forum on nuclear threatReutersJapan's new foreign minister says it's time to exert pressure on North KoreaBusiness InsiderArmyTimes.com -U.S. News & World Report -CBS News -Slate Magazineall 1,500 news articles »
Posted on 22 August 2017 | 8:22 am
US hits Russian, Chinese entities with
i24NEWSUS hits Russian, Chinese entities with sanctions over aid to North Koreai24NEWSThe United States hit several mainly Chinese and Russian companies and individuals with sanctions on Tuesday, claiming they had violated US sanctions and UN resolutions aimed at curtailing North Korea's nuclear program. The ten firms have been ...and more »
Posted on 22 August 2017 | 8:20 am
India's Supreme Court Strikes Down 'Instant
New York TimesIndia's Supreme Court Strikes Down 'Instant Divorce' for MuslimsNew York TimesMuslim women at a market in New Delhi. India's Supreme Court struck down the “triple talaq” practice that allowed Muslim men to instantly divorce their wives. Credit Tsering Topgyal/Associated Press. NEW DELHI — India's highest court struck down a ...In India, you can no longer divorce a woman simply by saying (or texting) it three timesLos Angeles TimesWhat does India's ban on instant divorce mean for Muslim women?ReutersIndia court bans instant divorceNew York PostSalt Lake Tribune -Washington Post -News24 -BBC Newsall 976 news articles »
Posted on 22 August 2017 | 8:11 am
Police searching for missing journalist Kim
CNNPolice searching for missing journalist Kim Wall find human torsoCNN(CNN) Danish police searching for missing Swedish journalist Kim Wall say the torso they found in Copenhagen appears to have been deliberately separated from the rest of the body. A passing cyclist found the torso Monday afternoon on the southwest side ...Headless body found in search for missing journalist Kim WallFox NewsDanish Police Searching For Missing Journalist Find Headless TorsoNBCNews.comDanish police: Submarine owner says missing Swedish journalist died in accidentUSA TODAYKTLA -CBS News -Ars Technica -WHIOall 185 news articles »
Posted on 22 August 2017 | 7:47 am
South African rhino breeder readies online
JOHANNESBURG (AP) — An online auction of 264 rhino horns will start Wednesday after a South African court ordered the government to hand over a permit allowing the sale to proceed, according to lawyers for a rhino breeder who is conducting the legal sale.
Posted on 22 August 2017 | 8:21 am
Barcelona attack: Suspects planned
An alleged member of an Islamist terror cell that carried out the Barcelona van attack told a Spanish court on Tuesday that the group had been planning a much bigger attack using explosives, a judicial source said. The testimony to Spain's High Court came from Mohamed Houli Chemlal, who was arrested after being hurt in a blast at a house in Alcanar, southwest of Barcelona, a day before Thursday's van attack on the crowded Las Ramblas boulevard in Barcelona which killed 13 people. The four remaining alleged members of the terror cell arrived in a Madrid court on Tuesday where they will be questioned by a judge after eight other suspects were killed. Mohamed Houli Chemlal, one of four arrested in relation to the terrorist attacks in Catalonia is taken to the Audiencia Nacional court in Madrid Credit: EFE Under heavy security, police vans entered the National Court, which deals with terrorism cases, where a judge will decide what - if any - charges to press against them over their suspected involvement in the vehicle attacks that left 15 dead and 120 injured. Spanish media have named the suspects as Driss Oukabir, Mohammed Aalla, Salh el Karib and Mohamed Houli Chemal. Spanish Civil Guards escort a man accused of involvement in the Spanish Islamist cell Credit: JUAN MEDINA/Reuters Three of them were arrested in the northern Catalan town of Ripoll. One was arrested in Alcanar, south of Barcelona, where a house that was accidentally blown apart turned out to be a botched bomb-making workshop. On Monday, Spanish police shot dead Barcelona terror suspect Younes Abouyaaqoub, in a dramatic end to a massive manhunt for the Moroccan national who was wearing a fake suicide belt and shouting "Allahu Akbar" (God is greatest) when he was killed. The Moroccan national was the last remaining member of a 12-man cell suspected of plotting last week's deadly vehicle rampages in Barcelona and the seaside resort of Cambrils that were claimed by Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (Isil) - its first in Spain. Younes Abouyaaqoub was shot dead in a dramatic end to a massive manhunt Credit: EPA/SPANISH MINISTRY OF THE INTERIOR Four men were detained and the rest were killed - either by police or in an explosion believed to have been accidentally detonated by the suspects themselves in their bomb factory in the seaside town of Alcanar. Among those killed in the explosion was a Moroccan imam at the heart of the cell, Abdelbaki Es Satty, Catalan police chief Josep Lluis Trapero confirmed on Monday. Police: Suspect in Barcelona van attack shot dead 00:48 Village where suspect shot is 'ideal hideout' Four days after the van rampage on the tourist-packed Las Ramblas boulevard, police on Monday gunned down 22-year-old Abouyaaqoub in the village about 60 kilometres (40 miles) west of Barcelona, after receiving multiple tip-offs. Arnau Gomez, who lives about a kilometre away from where the suspect was shot, described the village of 300 people as being an ideal hideout as "it is far from everything". "In the hills there are many homes of seasonal workers, it's easy to hide," he said. Terror in Spain: Dozens killed and injured in Barcelona and Cambrils In Abouyaaqoub's hometown of Ripoll, where many of the suspects grew up or lived, Moroccan factory worker Hassan Azzidi said he was "happy and sad all at once" that the suspect had been gunned down. "This had to end, because we're living as if in a war, but at the same time, someone brainwashed such a young boy," he said. In total, 15 people died in the attacks, including Pau Perez, a 34-year-old man found stabbed to death in a Ford Focus outside Barcelona on Friday after Abouyaaqoub hijacked his car to make a getaway. Influence of imam accused of radicalising others Investigators seeking to unravel the terror cell had homed in on the small border town of Ripoll at the foot of the Pyrenees mountains in northeastern Spain. Satty, aged in his 40s, came under scrutiny as he is believed to have radicalised youths in Ripoll. Police said the imam had spent time in prison and had once been in contact with a suspect wanted on terrorism charges, but was never himself charged with terror-related incidents. How the Barcelona and Cambrils terror attacks unfolded 02:04 In Belgium, the mayor of the Vilvorde region said that Satty had spent time in the Brussels suburb of Machelen - next to the city's airport - between January and March 2016. In the Moroccan town of M'rirt, relatives of Abouyaaqoub have accused the imam of radicalising the young man as well as his brother Houssein. "Over the last two years, Younes and Houssein began to radicalise under the influence of this imam," their grandfather said. How the suspected jihadists had 120 gas canisters The suspected jihadists had been preparing bombs for "one or more attacks in Barcelona", Trapero said on Sunday, revealing that 120 gas canisters and traces of TATP - a homemade explosive that is an Isil hallmark - had been found at their bomb factory. The accidental explosion in the house in Alcanar, south of Barcelona, may have forced the suspects to modify their plans. The debris of the house that exploded in the village of Alcanar Credit: Jaume Sellart/EPA Instead, they used a vehicle to smash into crowds on Barcelona's Las Ramblas boulevard. Several hours later, a similar attack in Cambrils left one woman dead. Police shot dead the five attackers there, some of whom were wearing fake explosive belts and carrying knives. Hundreds of Muslims rallied on Monday at Las Ramblas, holding slogans like "No to terrorism" and "We are Muslims, not terrorists". Terror timeline - Ramming attacks involving vehicles
Posted on 22 August 2017 | 7:50 am
Dozens reported dead in US-led strikes as
Dozens of civilians have died in two days of intense US-led strikes on Raqa, a monitor said Tuesday, as fighting to retake the Syrian city from jihadists nears its densely populated centre. The coalition acknowledges it has pounded the city and surrounding area with more than 250 air strikes over the past week alone, in support of the Syrian Democratic Forces alliance battling the Islamic State group. The SDF has so far captured just under 60 percent of Raqa, monitors say, leaving IS with about 10 square kilometres (four square miles) in the heart of the city.
Posted on 22 August 2017 | 7:19 am
U.S. divers find body remains in hull of
By Karishma Singh and Fathin Ungku SINGAPORE (Reuters) - U.S. Navy and Marine Corps divers on Tuesday found some human remains inside sections of a U.S. guided-missile destroyer that collided with a merchant vessel near Singapore, the commander of the U.S. Pacific Fleet said. The USS John S. McCain and the tanker Alnic MC collided on Monday while the U.S. ship was approaching Singapore on a routine port call. U.S. Pacific Fleet Commander Admiral Scott Swift said an international search-and-rescue operation had found some remains and that the wider search for 10 sailors missing from the accident would continue until all hope was exhausted.
Posted on 22 August 2017 | 5:57 am
Marcellus Williams: Missouri set to execute
A death row inmate in the US state of Missouri is about to be executed – despite new DNA evidence suggesting he is innocent. Marcellus Williams, now 48, was found guilty of the August 1998 murder of Lisha Gayle, 42, at home in St Louis. Prosecutors claim Williams was burgling his victim’s home when she discovered him and he stabbed her repeatedly.
Posted on 22 August 2017 | 5:00 am