Win Tickets To Watch Sam Hui & Alan Tam
Win Tickets To Watch Sam Hui & Alan Tam In Concert Star2.comTwo of Hong Kong's greatest ever Cantopop artistes, Alan Tam and Sam Hui, will be performing together in Malaysia for the very first time in December.
Posted on 29 November 2018 | 12:00 am
'He is a loner' - Why Man City ace Aymeric
'He is a loner' - Why Man City ace Aymeric Laporte can't get a game for France Goal.comAymeric Laporte returns to France on Tuesday for Manchester City's Champions League meeting with Lyon as one of the best defenders in the Premier League ...
Posted on 27 November 2018 | 12:00 am
San Antonio group focuses on sports for kids
San Antonio group focuses on sports for kids with disabilities San Antonio Express-NewsThe Kinetic Kids organization, a local nonprofit, helps children with disabilities play in sports.
Posted on 26 November 2018 | 12:00 am
Aspergers101 helps families cope with autism
Aspergers101 helps families cope with autism San Antonio Express-NewsThe San Antonio nonprofit offers numerous online resources and in-person presentations about high-functioning autism.
Posted on 20 November 2018 | 12:00 am
Funeral of movie producer Raymond Chow to be
Funeral of movie producer Raymond Chow to be private event South China Morning PostCompany that used to be Golden Harvest, which he founded in 1970, issues notice saying family asks industry players to respect their wishes.
Posted on 7 November 2018 | 12:00 am
Resolved Question: Can Someone help me
I love the cinema and films in general. I have since day one. I love adventures or science-fictions and when your just in the mood to laugh, a comedy. It’s a great actor that makes a good film, a classic. Samuel L. Jackson, he is one of my favourite actors. He can play many different roles and acts with real passion.
The cinema today is very expensive however there are reductions on certain days. Last week I went to the cinema with a couple of friends, we saw the film the Matrix Can we not just put this into Google Translate, its not really helping guys
Posted on 6 December 2011 | 1:42 am
Resolved Question: What are some names that
I'm thinking about writing a story for my Writing class... so I need some names that would Asian babies (male/female). The country I am thinking of is China
Posted on 11 November 2011 | 11:11 pm
Resolved Question: Translation from english
1. Introduction: Gabrielle Bonheur Chanel is the most famous fashion designer who found the “house of Chanel”. She is an important figure in women’s fashion in the twentieth century.
Today, I am going to talk about Chanel’s creative and independent life, including her work and love affair.
2. Childhood: Gabrielle Bonheur Chanel was born in Saumur, France, on August 19, 1883. When she was 12 years old, her mother died and her father disappeared. Since then, she had been staying in the orphanage for six years with her siblings, where she learned the trade of seamstress.
3. Gabrielle became Coco: When she turned 18 years old, she desired to be a singer after she left the orphanage. She started to work as assistant in tailoring shop during the day time and sang in the bas during the night time in Moulin. Since then, she was called as “Coco”, from the song she used to sing «Qui qu'a vu Coco dans l'Trocadéro ?» .
4. Coco’s first love affair: At Moulin, she became lover with Etienne Balsan, who was rich and young French textile heir. While living with Balsan, Chanel learnt the lavish lifestyle of upper class people, and began designing hats as a hobby. She later said that it was “opening of her eyes”. Therefore, Balsan was the one who helped her to find her talent.
5. Coco’s second love affair: When she was 27 in 1909, Chanel met and began an affair with one of Balsan’s friends, Captain Arthur Edward Capel. Different to Balsan, Capel showed great interest on Chanel’s wish to have a shop in Paris. Finally, Chanel leaves Balsan, but they kept their relationship as a friend. However, in 1910, Chanel opened a hat boutique at 21 rue Cambon in Paris. In 1913, she opened a boutique in Deauville where she introduced luxe casual clothes not only hats. In 1915, she opened a next boutique at Biarrit as well. During whole this time, Capel financed Chanel’s boutiques and his own clothing styles which inspired her creation of the Chanel look. Their relationship lasted 9years, but in 1918, Capel married an aristocratic English beauty. But he did not completely break off with Chanel. However, in late 1919, he suddenly died with a car accident.
6. Coco’s third love affair: In 1923, 40 years old Chanel also fell in love with Duke of Westminster. People believed that they are going to be married, but she couldn’t give up her work to live as wife of Duke. The Duke also could not accept her future wife to do her own business. Moreover, Duke wanted to have a child but Chanel was not able to pregnant.
7. Coco’s another love affair: In 1931, lover of Chanel, the Grand Duke Dmitri Pablovich, introduced her to the founder of MGM, Samuel Goldwyn. Goldwyn offered her to design costumes for MGM stars in Hollywood with sum of a million dollars.
8. World War II: In 1939, World War II began and she decides to close her shops. During that time she had an affair with Hans Gunther von Dincklage, a German officer and Nazi spy. After then, for 15 years, she left the life as a designer.
9. 1954.2.5 First fashion show after the War: As it was period of “New Look” of Christian Dior and also because of her relationship with the Nazis, her new collection did not have much success with the Parisians. However, it was applauded by the British and Americans.
10. Death of Chanel: On Sunday 10 January, she died in the age of 87.
11. Chanel’s Innovation, “Free the Women’s body”:
- She took off the corset and made a short skirt which goes above the knee instead of long skirt, and also made a pant for women which is comfortable and free to move.
- She attached a strap to a handbag. It is certain thing nowadays, but at that period, it was kind of liberation and also an innovation.
- She was in good relationship with many great artists and also sometimes sponsored many of them including Pablo Picasso, Salvador Dali, Jean Cocteau, Ernest Miller Hemingway, Igor Stravinsky, Greta Garbo, and Marlene Dietrich and so on.
12. Fashion of Chanel: She introduced simple, elegant, relaxed and functional clothes that express the aspiration of women in the 20th century. She borrowed ideas from men’s clothes and created clothes for modern women.
13. The most important person of the century: Chanel was selected as one of the most important person who influenced the change of the world over the century, by magazine “The Times”.
Posted on 8 May 2011 | 11:27 pm
Resolved Question: Can someone provide me
I have been studying French for some time and have read a few French classics. I would now like to read some more contemporary francophone novels (not necessarily French, it could be from any French speaking country). I have tried to search the web to find a list or recommendations of appraised works but haven't found anything comprehensive.
For reference, I have enjoyed writers such as Amelie Nothomb, Philippe Delerm, Modiano, Yann Martel,etc But I would be happy to explore new genres.
I'd be happy to hear your suggestions.
Posted on 24 June 2010 | 5:13 am
Resolved Question: Since alot of
Should we also start racially profiling all White Christian Males, Asians, and Hispanics for the 8 other high profile killing sprees that took place this year around the country?
-13 people gunned down at an immigration center in Albany last April:
Jiverly Voong, Asian Immigrent.
-11 dead 6 injured in Alabama last March:
Michael McLendon, White.
-32 shot dead at Virginia Tech last April:
Cho Seung-Hui, Asian immigrent.
-8 shot dead at a retirement home in N. Carolina last March:
Robert Stewart, White.
-1 killed 8 injured in office building, Orlando Florida a few days ago:
Jason Samuel Rodriguez, Hispanic American.
-4 dead 9 injured at an all women class in an L.A. Fitness health club, Pennsylvania last August:
George Sodini, White.
-3 dead 7 injured outside of an under-21 nightclub, The Zone in Oregon last January:
Erik Salvador Ayala, Hispanic American.
-3 police officers ambushed killed, Pittsburgh last April:
Richard Poplawski, White, Pro-gun nut.
and of course TODAY, 2 reported dead, several injured at drug-testing center Legacy Metro Lab in Oregon! suspect unknown, but if had to guess it will be a white guy! so mabye you will agree with me that racial profiling one race of people isn't going to cut back on these incedents becuase a spree killer can be anyone, anywhere, at anytime! anyone who thinks we should put Muslim Americans under the microscope after Ft. Hood are just as crazy as Americans were when she stuck Japanese Americans in internment camps during WWII...lol! ;)
Posted on 10 November 2009 | 11:36 am